“What the hell dose being left handed have to do with anything?”
Well apparently quite allot. A Facebook friend of ours posted this little cartoon and I have to say it had me fooled. In reading it I expected some witty closure on Homosexuality. However this was far more intelligent than that. It did start me to thinking- because I consider myself pretty well versed in the silliness of the Bible. However this one had me stumped. So I did a little Research (ok I did a quick Google Search) and found several pages on the topic.
However nobody got quite so in depth on the topic of hands then the people over at www.biblenews1.com.
They have an entire article about ‘Hands in Scripture’. It contains many little pearls of crazy like this one-
“The right hand stands for the Right Man, and the left hand stands for the Right Woman. Furthermore, Right Man symbolizes the leader, whereas the Right Woman symbolizes the follower, or responder. Right Man – Right Woman fit together as male and female, masculine and feminine, action and response, authority and subject. In language, Right Man is like the active voice and Right Woman is like the passive voice. Similarly, the right hand of a right-handed person is the hand of action and and left hand is the hand of response. The right hand represents the current state, while the left hand represents the past. The right hand is the hand that has developed, and the left is the hand with which a person was born. The left hand is dominant in left-handed people and all this is reversed.
Not knowing the difference between the left and right hand is an idiom for ignorance. More specifically, the Lord uses it as an idiom for the ignorance of a child (Jonah 4:11) who has not reached the age of accountability (Deuteronomy 1:39; Isaiah 7:16). This idiom is not casually thrown into the book of Jonah, which begins and ends with statements about the analysis of the left and right hand. Jonah’s behavior matches the fingerprint on his left forefinger. The Lord knew this when He inspired the book of Jonah. The last verse in the book is a punch line that reveals the Lord’s sense of humorin the story of Jonah.”
All this left me scratching my head a bit. I’m not sure but I think they just accused all left handed people of being Childish Women.
The left handed people over at http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk have a very nice article about the myths surronding that horrible scourge on society, the lefty.
For thousands of years, the Devil has been associated with the left hand in various ways and is normally portrayed as being left-handed in pictures and other images. In the seventeenth century it was thought that the Devil baptised his followers with his left-hand and there are many references in superstitions to the “left-hand side” being associated with evil. As an example, in France it was held that witches greet Satan “avec le bras gauche” or with the left hand. It is also considered that we can only see ghosts if we look over our left shoulder and that the Devil watches us over the left shoulder.
- Evil spirits lurk over the left shoulder – throw salt over this shoulder to ward them off. In Roman times, salt was a very valuable commodity, giving rise to the word “salary” and was considered a form of money at the time. If salt was spilled, that was considered very bad luck, that could only be avoided by throwing some of the spilled salt over your left shoulder to placate the devil.
- Joan of Arc (burned at the stake in 1431 for being a heretic and a witch) was not necessarily left-handed, she may have been depicted in this way to make her seem evil.
- Getting out of bed with the left foot first means that you will have a bad day and be bad tempered . i.e. getting out of bed the wrong side.
- A ringing in the right ear means that someone is praising you. In the left ear it means that someone is cursing or maligning you.
- An itchy right palm means that you will receive money. An itchy left palm means you will have to give money.
- Wedding rings worn on the third finger of the left hand originated with the Greeks and Romans, who wore them to fend of evil associated with the left-hand
- The Romans originally considered the left to be the lucky side and used for augury. However, they later changed back to the Greek methods and favoured the right-hand side.
- The right hand often symbolises ‘male’ while the left hand is ‘female’.
- If you hear the sound of a cuckoo from the right it will be a lucky year. If the sound comes from the left it will be unlucky.
- The Meru people of Kenya believed that the left-hand of their holy man has such evil power that he had to keep it hidden for the safety of others.
- If your right eye twitches you will see a friend, if it’s your left eye that twitches you’ll see an enemy.
- When dressmaking it’s believed to be bad luck to sew the left-hand sleeve onto a garment before the right sleeve.
- When leaving to go on a journey, if your right foot itches you’re bound to have a good journey. If your left foot itches it will end in sorrow.
- It is thought to be bad luck to pass a drink to another person with your left-hand or anti-clockwise around a table.